A wood burning fireplace can be a beautiful thing. It can create a mood, feeling, a scent and a wonderful sound, particularly on a cold winter night. However, if not properly maintained, it can also deteriorate quickly. Here are a few helpful points about fireplaces.
Did you know that about 90% of the heat generated from a fireplace goes up the chimney?
Improper use of a fireplace can cause a chimney fire. Also, toxic fumes will emit from a fireplace that contains hazardous material. Have a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke alarm near your fireplaces.
Creosote buildup in chimneys can create chimney fire
It is difficult for a homeowner to thoroughly inspect a chimney. A chimney should be inspected and cleaned after every two cords of wood are burned. If the fireplace is used only occasionally, have it inspected and cleaned every year before use.